Tuesday, January 24, 2012

jeff's roundups


No disrespect sir, none at all. You saw ten films fresh whereas I had seen a bunch when I was younger and in many cases went on my original reaction which, if you think about it, is really disingenuous. So if anything your lists are more impressive in every way shape and form.

I love that you love Antonioni. I think everything you wrote about his mastery is dead on and yet after viewing my third film by him I still remain on the outside looking in. I’m not sure what it is about him but something isn’t clicking, at least not on the first viewing. I will admit that while watching LAVVENTURA I was really taken aback with the way he placed the actors in frame, specifically on the island where their troubles both inward and outward seemed dwarfed by their sheer insignificance. I found myself thinking “damn I wish this film was in Technicolor.” But at the same time I will freely admit that while doing a list oriented era project you find yourself ultra-aware of films that go on and on and on. This being the case I wondered how much of his work couldn’t have been just fine at 70 minutes. If you can’t already tell I’m all for movies no lollygagging.

Agreed on Ozu.

THE DEFIANT ONES is a film I grew up on, one that I would watch a lot as a kid. I’m not sure that it holds up because I haven’t seen it in a long time. My father was a huge Sidney Poitier fan and had us watch all of his films together. I gained a huge respect for the man and so I think part of me is afraid to revisit some of those pictures in fear that they won’t withstand the test of time and “maturity.”

Ophuls rules. That rhymes. I think I liked LA RONDE the least out of all of his films that I’ve caught with perhaps the exception of CAUGHT. Now I’m on a roll. I’m not trying to be a troll.

SHADOWS is one of the greatest debuts in film history announcing the start of DIY filmmaking. Anyone who enjoys genres like mumblecore can thank this film for it. I think I just threw up in my mouth.

“Is there anything more beautiful than snow shot in black-and-white?” Snow shot in color. I really liked ODD MAN OUT too. Carol Reed really got shafted on the whole auteur discussion.

I think I need to see more Ozu now.

LOLA MONTES at times seemed like the most beautiful film ever shot in color. Take that TREE OF LIFE. It’s funny because I seem to recall some amazing “snow” shots in this one.

The fist fight in SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON is rivaled only by the longer fistfight in THE QUIET MAN. It’s just about the opposite of Ozu. Here Ford argues that the only way for peace is through drinking and beating the shit out of one another from time to time. It sounds barbaric but it makes sense. Being in a band where confrontation is taboo sometimes I wish we would all just act like a John Ford film and swing.

Still haven't seen that Born Again movie. Whoops.

No comments: